Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The stitch is back

I probably mentioned at some time that I had a "stitch" in my side off and on for a few months before my cancer diagnosis, that turned out to be the liver tumors. Well, over the last 3 days, it's back. Ruth palpated it yesterday, and yes, my liver is enlarged again. So that's depressing, on top of all the other depressing stuff over the past week. I want to feel like we're moving in the right direction, we started gemzar/carboplatin yesterday directly into the vein in my inner elbow and that went fine. They were worried because gemzar burns some people going in. I didn't experience that. Sick this morning from it, though. I didn't want any heavy duty nausea premeds because I have been having trouble with the pain meds causing constipation and the nausea meds do the same thing - shut down peristalsis. May change my mind for next time if I am doing better in that regard. We also upped the fentanyl patch to 150 mc and will watch for 48 hours; if that doesn't do it, I have a script for 2x100 that I can fill, plus fentanyl lollipops for breakthrough pain. (Ruth told Albert to give me a lollypop if I'm crying, I felt like a four year old!) I have tried to wean myself of the percocet which doesn't control the pain as much as just knock me out and keep me from "regularity".
Also saw Dr. Vine who likes how the canyon in my chest is closing up. I still have to debride it 2-3x a day with the peroxide, and I'll see him in another 2 weeks. We will probably look to install a new port around that time.
Down about 45 pounds so far, luckily I had lots of extra.

No comments: