Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hard to believe....

I called Beth first thing on Monday morning to talk about the leg pain, and she said she'd look at the bone scan results & call me back. Got through the day ok, when sitting got painful I stood up & walked around, which really helps, only needed tylenol for much of the day. I had a 2pm appointment with Sharon Zisman, the surgeon who will implant my port. I really liked her, she has a very warm way about her, and was as interested in me as she was in my disease. We scheduled the surgery for 9am Wednesday, and while I was there, Albert scheduled my liver biopsy for Thursday, which makes those two days pretty busy. Wednesday after the port I have chemo at noon (they can use the port) and 2 MRIs at 1:45. Thursday, after the biopsy, I'll sleep.
When I finally spoke to Beth at 5:15, she said that the bone scan results did not confirm the CT scan -- the lytic lesions were not evident on the bone scan -- which probably means that the mets are not responsible for the pain I've been having. I got very excited by the prospect that maybe I don't have bone mets, but did some research last night, and apparently this is something that can happen (here are a couple of references: one, two, three). They look at /measure different things, and the bone scan is not necessarily conclusive. One of the MRIs is of the hip/spine, that should be determinative.
Had emails from Aunt Ilene and my cousin Ali, the one good thing coming out of this crappy disease is that I am being given another opportunity to re-establish relationships with family (all the other good things I can think of are too morbid to list, like no more worrying about how to make my savings last in retirement... that's kind of a MetLife joke, since I spent a year working on the retirement strategies project aimed at educating on that very topic) Went through all our pain meds last night to see how strong each was -- I don't want to overmedicate. Turns out vicodin is marginally less strong than percocet so that's what I took last night when the pain kept me awake. Worked ok but I was aware of sleeping very lightly.

No comments: