Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We now rejoin the blog in process....

Well it has been a while since I've posted. I had a very long talk with Albert and Ruth last Thursday about what lies ahead of us. Ruth had previously said "we'll do scans in 3 months and we'll see", but I wanted to pin her down on what "we'll see" really means. Turns out it's probably a year to 18 months more chemo, maybe more, maybe we'll have to switch chemos, who knows. She was extremely unhappy with my stress level and the hours I'm putting in; she would much rather I worked in a job with no stress and part time hours. My immune system needs more time to bounce back after each chemo cycle than I am getting, and we need to make sure that I am strong and ready for what's coming. So, after reading me the riot act, we negotiated a 4 day workweek for the rest of the summer and going out on disability by the end of August. Had the conversation with my boss on Monday, will skip all details except to say that no one who knows us would be surprised at how it went.
So, not working, what will that be like? My main worry is that I will lie around and read or watch tv all day (insert image of Amy eating bonbons here), so I want to make sure that every day there is some place I have to be, if only for a few hours. Some volunteer work, classes, mah jongg, museums, whatever. I am fairly sure that a long retirement after age 65 is not particularly likely, so I decided to look at this period as a sort of retirement, although if/when they get the disease under control and if/when I am not on chemo for some period of time, maybe I can go back to work....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,

I admire your courage. A friend of mine works for SHARE www.sharecancersupport.org They have many volunteers (almost all cancer survivors) and may need more. You can help with CLM group and tutor, at least for the HR part. My thoughts are with you.

Bronya