Friday, August 29, 2008

Upshot of visit to oncologist

We agreed to skip this week's chemo. The expectation is that wound healing will be much further along if we wait. The avastin will wait even longer -- Ruth wants an actual skin cover before we do avastin. If we do it next week, I will have gone 5 weeks between treatments, so some assessment of where we are is in order. We took blood to see where the LDH liver enzyme numbers are (they started in April at over 20x upper normal, last time they were more like twice upper normal) and I will have a CT scan of my abdomen & pelvis on Wednesday. If there's been (god forbid) some progression, we have the next line of chemo backed up -- Gemzar & Carboplatin-- but the cancer would have had to have gotten pretty aggressive in the past couple of weeks to progress past where I was in May.
As for a new port, that may wait quite a while, so I don't have the same issue, and the placement will be a collaborative effort with the surgeon & the onc team.
Still treating the chest/shoulder pain with the fentanyl patch supplemented by percocet 2-3x day. Had 2 nights with almost no sleep, but we figured out that was the decadron (steroid) and that's down to once a day in the morning now, so last night was much better.
Today's my last day in the office, so much "wrap up" going on.

No comments: