Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Today is my official day off from chemo, and I was feeling pretty terrific until about 3:30 this afternoon, when apparently peristalsis restarted - luckily I had just walked in the door -- will be fine after a nap, I think. Spirits very good. Am down about 15 lbs so far, from eating healthy and lightly. Fun to see the weight fall off, but I have many many many pounds to go before the weight charts (thanks a lot, MetLife!) are happy with me. I have been pretty happy with the way the wigs look on me, and everyone at work is very complimentary, but I know that once the eyebrows go and those little sideburn hairs go, I will start to "look" sick. So I signed up for the American Cancer Society's "look good, feel better" program late this week. They are good at teaching you how to camouflage the little things, which will help. Last time, I just got the video, and it didn't really help me enough. They give you a bunch of makeup donated by major cosmetics companies, since you're really not supposed to use your own makeup once your immune system is compromised as the stuff tends to harbor bacteria.
I had a thought on the way to work this morning that Albert & I can't be the only couple going through something like this together, and I'm just noodling around whether there's a book in it somewhere.... I could ask on the different online boards for other peoples' stories, hints, coping styles, etc.... of course, there are not so many millions of people who would want to buy the book. Thank God, really, when you think about it! Come to think about it, I guess I would wish that nobody would want it. In which case, maybe never mind.

No comments: