Thursday, May 15, 2008

You can't make this stuff up....

Thursday, in our household, is known as Alina Day. Alina is our wonderful cleaning woman, who comes weekly. Our Thursday song goes (to the tune of Tararaboomdeeay) "I love Alina Day, I love Alina Day"(ad infinitum, because we lack imagination). Today, when Alina opened our front door, a black kitten raced in after her, and promptly took up residence under our claw-footed tub in an entirely unreachable place. She (?) stayed there for a couple of hours, until our neighbor Stuart Hodes (hereinafter the Cat Whisperer, but probably better known for his work on Broadway) coaxed the little thing out from her hiding space, and into a cat carrier they happened to have. He put signs up downstairs, and hopefully she belongs to someone in the building, but how the little thing chose our fifth floor apartment, we'll never know. Our three birds feel much safer now.
I got a wonderful card from my former assistant, Shinta. It was very moving, and it reads a little like she wrote it but it's a printed card. The middle part said "I am really proud to know you and to stand by your side during this difficult time. You are one of the strongest people I know and though you may not feel this way on the inside, you are truly extraordinary to the people around you. I see so much courage in your eyes and hopefulness in your heart, and I have no doubt that you will pass through these gray clouds into the sunshine again." I'm probably luckier to know her than vice versa, but the card made me feel much better.
I did the Look Good, Feel Better thing today, and I looked pretty good. The feeling better part, not so much. Physically I am well, but it is a little bit of a seesaw emotionally. I am still trying to wrap my mind around this diagnosis, and sometimes it just smacks me in the face. It's only been 3 weeks and a couple days since the sky fell in, so I'm going to give myself a tiny bit more time to get used to it.

No comments: